It was a year of growth and expansion for VCU Medical Center: 2014 heralded the addition of new services at existing locations, grand openings of clinics across the region.
The medical center also expanded telemedicine access in services including genetics, pediatrics, HIV and radiation-oncology to multiple locations, allowing patients access to VCU specialists they wouldn’t otherwise be able to see. The medical center now offers telemedicine services in nearly a dozen communities outside of the metro Richmond, Virginia, area.
Here’s a look at our work over the past year to reach more patients throughout Virginia.
- MCV Physicians at Ridgefield Parkway (2200 Pump Road), a collaboration between VCU Pauley Heart Center and Children’s Hospital of Richmond at VCU (CHoR), opened with six physicians and offers comprehensive outpatient cardiovascular care for adults and children.
- MCV Physicians at Gaskins Road (530 Gaskins Road) added two physicians and expanded its services to include family medicine and primary care sports medicine.
- VCU Parkinson’s and Movement Disorders Center’s ALS clinic (6605 W. Broad St.) moved from the fifth floor of the downtown Ambulatory Care Center to a location featuring a dedicated patient drop-off area and first-floor treatment rooms to improve accessibility for patients who use wheelchairs.
- MCV Physicians at Mayland Court (3470 Mayland Court) added an adult cystic fibrosis clinic to the existing pediatric service, leading to full accreditation by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. It also added endocrinology care and thyroid ultrasound capabilities, and adult neurology expanded its offerings to include EEG testing several days per month.
- Towne Center West in Short Pump (11958 W. Broad St.): Construction began on an 110,000-square-foot facility that will include specialized musculoskeletal and neuroscience clinics, a comprehensive imaging suite, state-of-the-art physical, occupational and speech therapy space, and performance optimization labs.
Bon Air/Stony Point
- Urorenal Clinic at Stony Point (9000 Stony Point Parkway) opened in January 2014, bringing together CHoR’s nephrology and urology services so pediatric patients can have one-appointment, one-clinic visits.
- MCV Physicians in Williamsburg (1162 Professional Drive) added cardiology, advanced heart failure and plastic surgery to its specialties. The clinic also added four physicians.
- Fredericksburg Therapy and Multispecialty Center (10530 Spotsylvania Ave.) expanded its services to include pulmonary medicine and telemedicine genetic services.
- Stafford Therapy Center (2781 Jefferson Davis Highway) opened in January 2014. The 3,600-square-foot center provides increased access to pediatric therapy services for children and families who live north of Richmond.
- Mary Washington Healthcare (1001 Sam Perry Blvd.) partnered with VCU to add neurology services to its Rappahannock Neurosurgery Associates practice, bringing the expertise of VCU’s neurosurgeons to the region.
South of the James (Southside, Chesterfield, Tri-Cities)
- MCV Physicians at Chesterfield Meadows (6433 Centralia Road) added four physicians and expanded its specialties to include allergy and pulmonary services.
- MCV Physicians at Temple Avenue (2035 Waterside Road) expanded its specialties to include physical medicine and rehabilitation as well as traumatic brain injury.